مواقف – MAWAEF
Multimedia Arts Festival – Algeria Edition
An exciting showcase of the underground art scene of Africa’s largest country, Algeria, comes to Richmix in full force with a spellbinding contemporary showcase of theatre, photography, design, workshops and feature films . The entire festival is FREE and open to the public – tell your friends and bring you families – this is a day you truly won’t want to miss…
Little known in the UK, and significantly under-represented across British cultural scenes, this programming will take on Algeria’s multi-faceted reality in which the participating artists have grown and developed their own work. Themed around the “Africanity” of Algeria, the festival celebrates and explores the African dimension of Algeria’s identity, while also confronting the burning issues of rising xenophobia, racial controversies and the lack of ties south of the Sahara.
Please note that all events (except the evening concert), are completely free. See below for full activities.
– Algerian Music jam session led by Mandol and Oud musicians – FREE
– Screening of an Algerian feature film ‘Les Bienheureux’ + Q&A with director Sofia Djama – FREE
– Screening of ‘Kindl El Bahr’ + Q&A on Algerian short film production with Algerian writer and blogger Rachida Lamri – FREE
– Panel discussion on the impact of climate change in Algeria – FREE
– Music panel discussion: how social media is shifting musical tastes for 1.3 billion Africans – FREE
– Drumming workshop for kids – FREE
– Screening of Algerian short movies; – FREE
– Writing workshop on issues of women, gender and sexuality – FREE
– Moving solo theatre performance by actress and performer Halima Gadji – FREE
ART EXHIBITION – FREE
In addition, there will permanent photography and design showcase (February 6th-24th) highlighting the visual and thematic influences of identity and belonging that shape the work of three exciting emerging Algerian artists. The artists will be visiting London on the day of the festival to informally discuss with visitors their illustrations of contemporary Algeria and its relationship with the African continent.
El Moustach || Lola Khalfa || Oualid Khelifi
LIVE MUSIC CONCERT – TICKETED (PAID)
The night will culminate with an exciting double-bill concert with UK-based Nazim Ziryab, a fusion Algerian-blues band, followed by an Algerian, Transaharan and Pan-African band, El Foukr R’Assembly, who has been gearing up for their UK premiere after touring 3 continents.